Sunday, 20 December 2015

Syria conflict: Dozens killed in suspected Russian strikes

People inspect a site hit by what activists said were airstrikes carried out by the Russian air force in Idlib


At least 43 people have been killed in a series of airstrikes believed to have been carried out by Russian planes in the Syrian city of Idlib, according to activists and residents.
A marketplace, homes and official buildings were all hit, reports say. Bodies were still being pulled from the rubble, a civil defence worker said.
Russia has not confirmed whether it carried out strikes in the area.
Russia began an air campaign to bolster President Bashar al-Assad in September.


A civil defence member gestures towards a rebel fighter as they search for survivors

It says it has targeted only "terrorists", above all jihadist militants from the Islamic State (IS) group, but activists say its strikes have mainly hit Western-backed rebel groups.
The Local Co-ordination Committees, a network of anti-regime activists, said that more than 170 people had been injured in the strikes.




No comments:

Post a Comment