Sunday, 20 December 2015

Israel minister Silvan Shalom resigns over harassment allegations

Silvan Shalom
Mr Shalom has been a veteran figure in the right-wing Likud party



Israel's Interior Minister Silvan Shalom has resigned after a series of sexual harassment allegations:



Mr Shalom, who is also stepping down from his position as deputy prime minister, said he was doing so to spare his family any more suffering.
The attorney-general has ordered a probe into claims made against Mr Shalom by several women. Mr Shalom has denied any wrongdoing.
Israel has seen several similar high-profile cases in recent years.
The police anti-fraud chief is under investigation for sexual misconduct and last month another MP in the governing coalition, Yinon Magal, resigned amid sexual harassment allegations.
In 2011, the former President Moshe Katsav began a seven-year jail sentence for rape.

Some media reports suggest that Mr Shalom's replacement in the Israeli parliament could be Amir Ohana, who would become the first openly gay MP from the right-wing Likud party.

China landslide: Many missing after buildings collapse in Shenzhen

Dozens of people are missing after a landslide engulfed 22 buildings at an industrial park in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen.
About 900 people were evacuated, and four were pulled from the rubble with minor or no injuries, the local government said. No fatalities have been reported.
Shenzhen's fire brigade said it was working to free other trapped people - state media say 59 remain missing.
Two workers' dormitories are among the affected buildings.
The city is one of China's biggest and is a major industrial centre.


An aerial view shows the site of a landslide at an industrial park in Shenzhe
This aerial view of the scene shows the impact of the landslide


Rescuers search for survivors on a collapsed building following a landslide in Shenzhen, in south China
One building was seen leaning sharply to one side




Syria conflict: Dozens killed in suspected Russian strikes

People inspect a site hit by what activists said were airstrikes carried out by the Russian air force in Idlib


At least 43 people have been killed in a series of airstrikes believed to have been carried out by Russian planes in the Syrian city of Idlib, according to activists and residents.
A marketplace, homes and official buildings were all hit, reports say. Bodies were still being pulled from the rubble, a civil defence worker said.
Russia has not confirmed whether it carried out strikes in the area.
Russia began an air campaign to bolster President Bashar al-Assad in September.


A civil defence member gestures towards a rebel fighter as they search for survivors

It says it has targeted only "terrorists", above all jihadist militants from the Islamic State (IS) group, but activists say its strikes have mainly hit Western-backed rebel groups.
The Local Co-ordination Committees, a network of anti-regime activists, said that more than 170 people had been injured in the strikes.




PM Rajoy's party leads Spanish poll

Mariano Rajoy. 20 Dec 2015


Spain's governing Popular Party has won most seats in the general election but will fall short of an overall majority, with almost all votes counted.
  • 17 minutes ago
  •  
  • From the sectionEurope